eExams take advantage of technology to provide the ultimate in piano exam flexibility!
- Schedule your exam with only 2 weeks notice, any time of the year, when you are ready
- Most eExam centres are located in familiar surroundings for the student, such as a teacher’s studio
- We supply the software and support to easily set up an eExam centre for you
- Avoid long drives to the nearest centre for remote locations
- Students love to interact using technology, without the intimidation of having the Examiner directly in the room
Using Internet Midi software, developed by TimeWarp Technologies (supplied at no cost by Conservatory Canada), we connect two digital keyboards with laptops and the internet (Skype provides the video interface) so that the examiner can hear whatever the student is playing through the examiner’s keyboard and vice versa.
The examiner hears the student as if they were in the exam room! One fifth of our practical exams are now done by eExam, with most students choosing to play their exam before the usual June session.
Contact us for more information on eExams and to set up your new centre!
Maggie Kelly is a 14-year-old student from Komoka, Ontario. She has successfully completed Classical and Contemporary Idioms music exams with Conservatory Canada.
Brian Usher is the owner of Alpha Music Services in London, Ontario. He is a performer, composer, arranger and teacher and a member of the Conservatory Canada Board of Examiners.
Peter Clements is a retired Professor of Music and former Assistant Dean at the Don Wright Faculty of Music, London, Ontario. He is a member of the Conservatory Canada Board of Examiners.
Victoria Warwick is the former National Executive Director of Conservatory Canada and graduate of the Don Wright Faculty of Music, London, Ontario. She was responsible for the creation of Conservatory Canada eExams.
Conservatory Canada continues to embrace the benefits of contemporary technology in music learning and the impact of the digital revolution on today’s music students.
With respect to the piano, we acknowledge that digital technology has made and continues to make significant gains in terms of sound, touch, expressiveness and overall performance.
For these reasons we have determined that, for examination purposes at Conservatory Canada, digital pianos that meet specific criteria are enthusiastically endorsed for examination purposes at all grade levels.
We are pleased to certify that several Roland piano models meet Conservatory Canada standards for certification for examination purposes. Details regarding eligible models can be obtained from any Roland dealer store.
Register for a Practical eExam through your Student Portal and then email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a date and time for your exam. It’s that easy!
Practical eExam centres have already been set up in the following cities and towns:
- Cold Lake
- Medicine Hat
- Pincher Creek
- Fort St. John
- Williams Lake
- St. John’s
- Niagara Falls
- Parry Sound
- Thunder Bay
To open your own eExam centre for practical exams, or for more information regarding this exciting new opportunity, please contact our office.
Practical eExam Pricing
Practical eExam Pricing is the same as regular Practical Exam pricing.
Flex Theory Exams
Our Flex Theory Exam option allows students to write their theory exams in ANY location convenient for them on ANY day of the year! The exam can be written in any quiet location that the student and teacher feels is appropriate and the exam is administered by a presiding officer of your choice. This option allows us to email the exam to the presiding officer a few days before the scheduled exam date. The presiding officer must have access to the technology required to accommodate the electronic nature of the exams, as we only send them by email and they must be scanned and emailed back.
Register for a Flex Theory Exam through your Student Portal and then email email@example.com with the following information a minimum of two weeks before the day you wish to write your exam. It’s that easy!
- Date and exact time that the exam will be written. This is chosen entirely at the discretion of the student and teacher.
- Name and address of the location where the exam will be written.This can be any quiet space that the student or teacher feels is appropriate.
- Name, email address, and telephone number of the Presiding Officer. This can be any responsible adult other than the student’s parents or theory teacher and is chosen entirely at your discretion. Other music or school teachers may be used, as long as it is not the teacher for the particular course being examined. The presiding officer that you select must have access to a scanner and knowledge of how to use it (there are new iPad apps that work just as well to scan documents). The exam paper will be sent to the presiding officer by email two business days before the student is scheduled to write. They will need to print the exam, supervise the student while he/she writes, then scan the completed exam as a single PDF file and return it by email. Exams returned in other formats will not be accepted. There are no other restrictions on who can proctor the exam.
Flex Theory Exam Pricing
Flex Theory Exam pricing is the same as regular Theory Exam pricing.